National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements logo

Southwestern Community College maintains a process to resolve student complaints/grievances and Formal Complaint Log. The procedure for resolving a complaint/grievance includes the following steps:

  1. Students with a complaint/grievance are encouraged to seek resolution informally by working directly with an instructor, counselor, advisor, immediate supervisor, or the individual involved.
  2. If  the  compliant/grievance  is  not  resolved  informally  the  student  with the  complaint/grievance  may  seek  formal  resolution  by  submitting  the complaint/grievance in writing to the dean of student services.
  3. The  dean  of  student  services  will  review  the  complaint/grievance  and  arrange  a  meeting  with  all  appropriate  parties.  The  meeting  will  take  place  within  10  school  days  after  the  formal  complaint/grievance  has  been received. 
  4. If  the  complaint/grievance  is  not  resolved  during  the  meeting  with  the  dean of student services and all parties involved, the complaint/grievance will be directed to the Academic Review Committee.
  5. The Academic Review Committee Chair will convene a meeting with all parties involved within 10 days of receiving the complaint. The Academic Review Committee will listen to all parties, review all relevant facts, and offer a final resolution to the complaint/grievance.
  6. Following the Academic Review Committee meeting, the dean of student services will inform all students of the resolution.  The resolution of the Academic Review Committee is final.

A  formal  complaint/grievance  does  not  include  complaints  from  parents,  employers or the general public. The Master Log will be maintained in the office of the dean of student services.

Consumer information in accordance with The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) can be found here: Detailed information regarding SWCC's "Formal Student Complaint Process" may be found on the Consumer Information page as well.

Southwestern Community College is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity (NC-SARA) Agreements.
Complaints from students in other SARA states should contact Iowa's SARA portal agency which is the Iowa College Student Aid Commission (ICSAC).

State Portal Entity Contact:
Lisa Pundt
Postsecondary Registration - (Authorization) Compliance Officer        
Iowa College Aid
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
430 E. Grand Ave., FL 3 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.725.3426 | fax: 515.725.3401

Please note that in general, state agencies ask that you work to resolve your complaint with the college before filing a complaint with the state.

State of Iowa Contact:
Amy Vybiral
Iowa Department of Education
Division of Community Colleges
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA  50319
515.281.3169 Phone
515.242.5988 Fax